Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Judgments

I realized that when we tell someone they're judgemental it's usually in response to something critical they said.

Why don't we think it when they say something good about others?

There are times when various critics will give the "thumbs up." They're still critics.

The state of mind that makes appraisals whether positive or negative is still a judgemental state of mind.

The objection would be that it's righteous to give compliments and build people up. I'm not sure if giving good appraisals is what is meant by that. The truth is always best and if we are going to make appraisals, which I don't believe we are really supposed to, then we ought to tell the truth. Thumbs up here, thumbs down there, but it's all subjective so I think all appraisals should be suspended.

Next time someone gives me a pleasing appraisal, I shall reply: "don't judge me."

2 comments:

allhisblessings said...

has someone been "judgemental" to you lately? or you to them... :)

Numen said...

Nope,I was watching people do it to others. They would call criticism judgmental and compliments would be accepted and I realized that both were judgemental in the strictist sense
:)